Sunday, September 5, 2010

Those We Left Behind Part 2


Among the first friends we made when we arrived in Dundee is Mina.  It was a day after we arrived and getting ready to go to Taymills for Eid Gathering. There she was walking her dog Romar around the playground.  We exchanged our "Hi Ya" and we have been friends since. We always talk to each other every time we meet. And Romar will be faithfully waiting for us to finish our conversation. Usually it will start with "Are you good?" And it led to other matters. She always have time - never does she seem disinterested in our chanced meeting (which is often).

In the morning of the day we moved out, I saw Mina walking Romar from my kitchen window. I rushed out to see her - I have to say Good Bye. So, there I was running after her. "Mina!" I called out. There she was. Turning her back. Smiling and waiting for me to catch up.

"Mina! We re leaving today." I told her.
"So, it's today?" she asked back for confirmation.
"Yes, Mina"
"I will miss all of you". She said.
"We'll miss you too - you have been part of us." By this time all my family members have reached the spot where we were talking. Aqil & Hakim as usual played with Romar. But as if he knew, he's not as playful as always.
"It feels like yesterday that you arrived." said Mina
"Time flies, Mina - it's no longer running."
"I guess you are right. Will you be visiting?"
"Of course, Mina. We love this place."
"When you are here, pay me a visit."
"We will."
"Keep in touch. I will give you my email address."
"And I'll give you mine. We'll keep in touch. If you are coming down, tell us. We'll be happy to see you."
"I will."
We talked a bit more. Took some photos.
"Go now. I'll be holding you up. You still need to do your last packing."
"Right Mina. We may come in November."
"Then visit."
"We will." And we departed.




While we were doing our last packing, there was a knock at the door. I rushed to open the door. It's Mina.
"Come in, Mina." I said
"No. It's all right. I just want to give you this." She said handling me with a plastic bag.
"It's for the journey." She said.
"Oh. Thank you, Mina, you shouldn't."
"That's all right." We hugged and she left.

I was so touched when I saw what inside the bag - six bars of chocolates and a piece of paper with her email address and phone no. Mina is like that. She used to come up with surprises. One day, I saw her carrying a bag. and she was busy waving at me. It turned up that she has a ball for Aqil and a bear for Mia. Then when she found out that Aqil liked the bear, she gave him another.

Mina lives alone with her poodle, Romar. She did her own light shopping but every week, there'll be a lady coming in to clean her house and shop for her. I never asked her where her children are but I have never seen any visiting her. There was never any children mentioned in our conversations but on some weekends, her Sister-in-law will come down from St Andrews to fetch her to spend the weekends at her place.

So far, I've received three emails from Mina. She wanted to know how we are getting on. On the last, she told us she misses us. Well, we do miss her too. We only hope that she is always in good health and happy. Till we meet again.

8 comments:

  1. Dear friends always close to our heart. bUt life has to go on sis.

    Eid mubarak...maaf jika ada tersilap dan tersyasyul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam DrSam :-D

    Guess you're right... Life has to go on but the memory lingers on too...

    Selamat Hari Raya to you & Family. Maaf if ada terlanjur kata and terkasar bahasa, etc,... Have a very happy Eid, ya Bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. salam MM... :-)))

    hope ur well at ur end ya... agak lama tk dngr berita... hope it's not too late to wish u & ur family, Eid Mubarak... bagaimana sambutan hari raya di sana? take care ya...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Acu...Pakcu....sepupus!!!!! -Khalid Anak Zaid-

    ReplyDelete
  5. sila email su di azasura@yahoo.com
    dari surani othman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salam Ratu :-D

    Hmmm.... it is a long2 time all right but it feels good to be back. At least for tonite :-D

    Eid? Hmmm... I was working masa Raya Pertama. Raya kedua spend the day beli barang sikit untuk rumah - maklum baru seminggu pindah. Malamnya tolong kenalan kami cucuk sate untuk majlis Raya di Backendonbury - sungguh mengharukan, ya? But I hope you have a wonderful Raya. And I'm sure Adinda look soooo.... pretty that day :-D And Maaf Zahir Batin, Sis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam Carl :-D

    Udah le... Bila nak datang sini. BTW, jangan la pupus dulu ya?:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya Cik Daun :-D
    Saya akan berbuat demikian

    ReplyDelete