Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Walk Through Time



It has been quite some time for me to finally start my own blog. In between taking care of my 4 children and housework I simply just could not think how I can manage maintaining a blog. However, I finally take the plunge and who knows this may go a long way.

As my initial entry I would like to share about my recent trip to Penang Island. The highlight this time is the Penang War Museum. Though excited about the prospect of walking through history I do not know what to expect even as we paid for the entrance fee.

But as my husband and I walked through from building to building dragging along our 5year old daughter and 3 year old son I can't help feeling how it may have been to endure life during war (our two older sons had run off with their grandmother). I am just glad that we don't have to and how thankful I am for those who fought for this country, for those who protect it and save its dignity - Thank you.

For those who are planning to visit Penang this coming school holiday, do include the War Museum in your itinerary. Take the walk through time. Look at how those who defended our country lives - sleeping quarters, medical infirmary, logistic centre, cook houses. communication room, etc. Crawl in the escape tunnel. For info., the fort was manned by the British, Malay & Indian/Sikh armies but it was attacked and fell to the Japanese during WWII. It became a Japanese army base camp where the POWs were interogated, tortured and some, executed. Witness the bullet holes in the walls of the torture chamber. Imagine the suffering endured. And if this is too much, just enjoy the view from the battery which looks out to the sea down below. Take your time to appreciate it.

BTW, the Penang War Museum is located at Batu Maung, some 20 minutes from Georgetown, up in the hill. The museum is occupying the military fortress built during the British occupation. The admission fee is RM15/- per adult and RM7.50 per child above 5. Though the fee may be quite expensive, it is really a small fee in exchange of peace and harmony that we are enjoying today - bear in mind that the War Museum is not fully explored yet and the fee can really assist in ensuring that maintainence and further development can go ahead.

Leaving the Museum, I can't help feeling how lucky we are today. How fortunate to be born in a country where harmony is its second name. To live in peace among the many races; to respect each others religious beliefs and to appreciate each others culture and also to be blessed with a beautiful country. Let us all be thankful for such blessings.

4 comments:

  1. Salam,
    welcome aboard! I hope you will continue to write and share with the cybercomunity your many interesting stories and adventure.

    The museum looks a bit scary though.

    have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam,

    Ohh my God really the building looks scary I can't visit any place looks like that, because of two things :

    First: Maybe I'll see gost Lol!
    Second: the building may fall down on my head then I die :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam Amani! (:-D)

    Oh Dear..!(:-d) Now you get me wondering... Glad that I have gone through it! (:-D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know sis.. Penang is tempat kelahiran my grandfather.. and so when I was really young, my parents would always bring us back to Penang to visit our relatives every school holidays..

    Now I know there's this War Museum.. I think I should visit it if am there one day.

    Thx for the infor!!!

    ReplyDelete