Thursday, October 20, 2011

Look who's talking....

Just as I was about to lie down and have my own me time that fine Saturday afternoon, Aqil and Damia rushed into my room.

"Are you married to Baba?" asked Aqil snuggling beside me.

"Of course I am!" I said

He sit up, faced me and said, " If I am a boy and married to a girl and a baby come out, will the baby knows the boy and the girl is married?"

"Ok. I get what you mean..."

"Exactly!That's why I never know if you are married to Baba. I never see it!"

Goodness me! Just what are they learning at school nowadays?

I haven't yet quite getting into responding to him when Damia who pulled herself closer to me started asking.

"Do you love Baba?"

"Yes I do."

"Are you happy with him?"

"Yes, I am."

"Do you know that if you are ever fed-up with him you can divorce him?" (Well, she's asking me this so gently and so full of  innocence.)

I was shocked actually but I simply asked back

"Will you define divorce for me, please."

"When a party brought a flower to another party and say I'm sorry, and the other party who supposed to answer said No, then you get a divorce." She responded triumphantly. I don't know if I have to cry or to laugh - I mean seriously!

Oh my Dear God! What are these young children exposed to nowadays? Is it simply freedom of speech? I can't remember discussing marriage or divorce with my parents when I was 5 or 7 - I don't even think about these words. And I can't imagine what trouble I will get into if I do ask these or even suggest these topics when I were at that age!

Anyway, I am very glad that I didn't faint that day. Is it because we are lenient with our children that they know they can discuss anything with their parents. That reminds me of what happened a week ago.  I was in the kitchen with my husband preparing lunch when I asked my eldest to go to the shop and get me a copy of the "People's Friend" magazine - oh yes, call me whatever you like but I love this magazine. 10 minutes later he pushed open the kitchen door, magazine in hand in what I can described as shock and anger, "Oh my Goodness!I think I lost my virginity!" Both my husband and I were so shocked we cannot respond immediately.

"You're gone for 10 minutes and lost your virginity?! What happened?" I finally asked when I finally found my voice - better be an explanation.

"There no People's Friend at the Cooperative so I went to Nisa! I was flipping through the magazine, yeah, and not one! but two! Can you imagine? Two magazines with topless women as cover! Oh my God!" he rushed the words with one breath in pure disgraced.

Oh Dear! One of these days both my husbands and I are seriously in for heart attack!  I'm not entirely sure nowadays which is more shocking - to be a child or a parent. At times, I felt so exhausted by these children, I started to wonder if they are really mine? Ours?

Anyway, in case you are wondering about Damia's suggestion, my husband and I are still very much in love with each other. You can ask him. He's beside me now.

Till then :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment