Thursday, November 12, 2009

Get Me To The School On Time!!!

A few days after we arrived, Damia was asking when will she start schooling. I told her that I will work it out and she had to be patient. After meeting with the Asst Head Teacher of the school closest to our home and confirming that there is one place available for her (Well, actually we knew that there is a place for her as our kind neighbours Taufik & Aeni had informed us earlier) , we have to go to the Education Department to make the application.

It was quite a few days before we received the response - Just a short one - I hereby agree with your application for your child Damia Qistina to be enrolled at St Ninian Rc Primary School. Please contact Ms Veal, the Head Teacher for arrangement. She may start schooling after the break on October 19, 2009.

What a relief! And for the week before she started going to school, she kept on asking why she must wait for so long? Though we explained to her that it's because the school is closed for holiday, she kept on asking.

And finally when the day came, she was so excited. At one point, I was very nervous. Can she take the longer hour? School starts at 9.00 and ends at 3.15 here. Back in Malaysia, the nursery she went to is only from 8.30 to 11.30.

When we piled into Ms Veal's office that morning, she gave us an option, "Perhaps for these two weeks you may want to have her back during lunch time at 12? I understand how stressful it could be for her, what with the longer hour here and the stress of having to listen to different language the whole day. Come back at 12.00 and we'll see how she's doing. If she wanted too, you can take her home with you."

Now, that's a relief. We quickly accepted her suggestion. Then it was time to bring Mia to her classroom and meet her Class Teacher, Mrs Young.

After exchanging Good Morning and a few words, came the time when Mrs Young announced to the children "You are lucky today. We have Damia to join us..." And before she continue, a young voice came "Please Mrs Young, can I set a space for her? Is it ok for her to sit beside me?". "Oh yes... That is kind of you, Katherine, of course she can sit beside you." And Katherine came to the front, took Mia by the hand and said "Come, let me show you where we can put your lunch box and your jacket" and off they went hand-in-hand. And while all these are happening I just can't really explain how I felt - it is so sweet and kind of Katherine (did I tell you that all the children in Mia's class are only 5 year old?)and it is so beautiful to see how a child having no discriminating thought at all. Their act is so pure and it just gives you a lump in the throat.
When I mentioned that to Ms Veal, she smiled. "Yes, it does give you a lump in the throat" she said. Before we left, we asked Aqil to shake hand with the Head Teacher. As we trained all our children to salam cium tangan, that's what he did and Ms Veal was all smile in her face. "That melts my heart" she said.

When we got there at 12.00 and asked Mia if she wanted to go home, she politely declined and said "I want to stay". And Ms Veal was smilling, "That's easy isn't it? If more children are like this on their first day of school, I'll be having less problem."

Last Friday was the "parent-teacher meet" day. Since I have class to attend only my husband went to see Mrs Young. And we are glad that Mia is doing well and there's no report on bad behaviour.

Oh yes, did I mention that Katherine is her best friend? And now she said Olivia too. She asked me last week if I can give our address to Katherine and Olivia to come over to our house. I said I will have to meet their Mum or Dad first, asking for permissions. And until then, I will have to have another trip to Errol,....

(Note : Errol Airfield holds the largest car boot sale here in Dundee. It's every Sunday from 8.30 to hmm... I'm not sure. But here is where we spend our money - why spend elsewhere when we can get a "Barbie laptop" for £1.50?, children's books for 50p to £1 (sometimes they even give you free books and toys). Toys? it's between 20p to £1 - though 2nd hand it's all in good condition....)

2 comments:

  1. Salam. Damia certainly looks cute ya. Those kids are just wonderful, still unspoilt, no hangups, not like us adults, we're just having lots of rubbish in our heads really. Hey that new picture on top of yr blog is really beautiful, looks v real to me. Just love the country side too. Settle down & study hard ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Bluesman (:-D
    Yeah... kids, so truthful and expressive you just have to love them. can't find a reason why sometimes kids became victim to abuses - I just can't think why. Anyway, today I received a good comment from my lecturer on my essay - for my Corpora te Governance subject. when he wrote " A Lot of Good Work Here... And I need your views on my Descriptive/Prescriptive CG..." I am over the moon. You see it takes a lot of journals, books and websites and many many sleepless nights to come out with the essay - so, I am going to give him my views more confidently now - I don't care if it is only 30% of finals -I need every mark I can get to get a good score. Wish me luck! (:-D

    ReplyDelete