Saturday, July 3, 2010

End of Term


It's End of Term. Meaning :

i. I have both Mia & Aqil with me full time effective tomorrow (July 2, 2010) until August 17, 2010;
ii. I will have to arrange to send them somewhere where there is adult supervision when I want to go the library; or
iii. I have to drag them along if I need to get some data from Datastream at the University (I do dragged Aqil to my workshops and classes too last time!);
iv. Things will get better & better after July 10 as Danish & Hakim will be arriving from Malaysia. Alhamdulillah their visas were approved - thanks to everyone who have been praying for them. Thank you very much. This means that instead of dragging two children to School I have to drag four children along. When we walk in single file I do sometimes feel like a mother duck! But, Alhamdulillah as we are soon going to be reunited. We thought we can managed to secure tickets for this Saturday but as they are going to travel as Unaccompanied Minors, there are certain arrangements to be made, such they need at least a day to do so with the Dubai office (they are flying Emirates), that, and my husband can't guarantee that he can take leave next week (we have to fetch them at Gatwick which is about 380++ miles from Dundee), left us with no choice but to opt for next Saturday.



Hmm... let me continue with the "end-of-term" story. With end-of-term came the Progress Report . I was quite touched with what written by both Danish & Hakim's Teachers and their Head Teacher in their comments. Danish & Hakim have just started schooling in January and have to leave for Malaysia on May 1. They are considered new and have not been there long but they have managed to become welcome members at school. Below are the comments but please, I do not intend to show off or anything near that. Nor do I intend to open any can of worms, I just would like to share how the teachers' comments are compared to back home.

Danish's comments from the teacher :Quote "Danish has a very happy nature and he gets on well with his peers.  He is a very caring and helpful child who is sensitive to the feelings of others.

Danish is a hard working and conscientious pupil who has made excellent progress in all areas. He always tries his best. Danish appreciates the importance of completing homework to help with his learning,

Danish should continue to make good progress at High School if he can maintain this session's hard work. All the very best for the future Danish.

Remember always to "Be The Best You Can Be"Unquote.

And the Head Teacher's comments : Quote. "Danish has not been with us for very long. However, I have been impressed by his attitude and motivation towards learning. Danish is an extremely capable pupil who wants to do well and achieve high goals.

He is an enthusiastic pupil and gives 100% commitment to all his tasks.

I am confident that Danish will meet all the challenges of High School and that he will make excellent progress. Good luck, Danish." Unquote. Oh yes, Danish will be in High School next August. He will not be at the current school any more. When I told his Teacher that he can only make it back next week, she said that she will be meeting him at the High School at the beginning of the new term. "I want to see him." she said. "At least I want to say a proper good bye. I miss him."

Hakim's Teacher's Comments : Quote."Luqman has settled really well into his class and has become a key member of the class. He is a hard working and conscientious pupil who has made excellent progress in all areas. Luqman is a very able pupil who always tries his best and he is always eager to learn. He is supportive and sensitive to others when working in a group and he is a friendly and popular member of the class. Luqman has a happy nature and a good sense of humour and has a very positive attitude to all aspects of school life. He has only been part of the class for a few months but already he has a great impact on all of us. Luqman is very confident and is a good role model for other children with his attitude to learning and school. I have really enjoyed getting to know Luqman and seeing him develop over the past few months. Good luck in primary 6.

Head Teacher's Comments : Quote. "This is a very positive report, Luqman. In a short time you have become a valuable member of the class by your commitment and attitude to education. I am impressed by your enthusiasm for learning. Well done, Luqman!"Unquote.

Very different from the "Sangat Baik. Usaha lagi. (Very good. Work harder.) " or just "Baik. (Good) or the most "Baik. Usaha lagi supaya lebih cemerlang. (Good. Work harder to be better) which we normally get from their Report Cards back home.  No, I do not have anything against teachers or our education system back home. I am what I am today as a result from that system. However, with just a little more caring attitude towards the pupil, and a little bit more words of motivation and supports it could go a long way. And that does not just go for the younger children. Even as old as I am when my Supervisor commented something like "... the method that you are going to do are well written..." I am already over the moon and give me some sort of the extra strength to do better and better in my analysis. Though at times looking at the amount of work to churn my data I already feel like shooting myself, but, that's beside the point! Words of encouragement do makes the world go round! Honest!



(Sources of images : school's out from newsimg.bbc.co.uk; mother duck & ducklings from itelegraph.co.uk)

6 comments:

  1. Salam Mia's Mom,
    I am so happy for you for the extremely good news. I bet the boys are so excited to be back in the UK. The long road trip to Gatwick will be a breeze because you know who'll be waiting at the other end :-).
    Congrats also to them on their report cards and all the praises. It's the same here. The teachers here really make an effort to write long flowy reports which make the students feel so appreciated and over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Mia's Mom

    Wah! Bagus lah guru guru di sana. Sentiasa memotivasikan murid murid. Kalau kat sini, if dapat result yang sangat bagus pun, serupa lah macam nota yang U tulis tu.

    Syukur Alhamdullilah... akhirnya kembali juga 2 orang hero U ke pangkuan. Mesti mereka berdua pun tak sabar berjumpa dengan U kan. Seronok mendengarkan berita ini:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam LG :-D

    Thank you very much. I am not sure who's happier - the Mom or the Sons!!! :-D Finally the agony of waiting is over - It is 15 working days after submission of application that we received the decision. FUhhh... Syukur Alhamdulillah. We will be leaving for Gatwick this Friday, InsyaAllah.

    One other that I really like about the teachers here - maybe because the school is not that big - all the teachers know each student and call them by their first name. Mula2 dulu rasa kelakar juga la. I masuk je building sekolah tu, dia orang dah tanya dah. "You are looking for Danish, Luqman or Damia?" And the same goes to the students they know each other regardless of which grade they are in, by name. Head Teacher dia pulak jenis yang selalu mention "we are a community - it goes beyond race, colour or religious beliefs". It is a nice environment though :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam Acik :-D

    I dapat berita tu, terus I sujud syukur.

    I rasakan Acik, kalau kat Malaysia pun boleh buat juga macam tu. Cumanya kadang2 I tengok cikgu ni banyak sangat masa dia orang pergi ke aktiviti lain - contohnya sukan sekolah. It takes weeks to practice and the teachers have to prepare for presentation la, hadiah la, nak sambut wakil rakyat la, buat bunga manggar la, nak train budak2 menari la... meeting untuk sukan je berapa kali. Nak agih2kan kerja lagi siapa nak sambut tetamu, nak buat gerai ke tak, etc..., itu baru sukan, belum lagi acara penyampaian hadiah kecemerlangan, sambutan hari kanak2, nak bawa student gi MSSM la... etc,... Rasanya kalau semua tu tak dibuat dengan skala grand, cikgu2 lebih banyak masa untuk really spend time dengan student dia orang kut. Alahai, ---ni cuma pendapat anak bekas cikgu, menantu bekas cikgu, adik dan adik ipar pada cikgu2 :-D La... rupanya I banyak kaitan juga dengan cikgu, ya? I cukup tak tahan la dengan bunga manggar tu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salam LG :-D

    Thank you very much. We are all very happy and looking forward to fetch both boys this Friday. It will be a very tiring journey though but as you put it, it is going to be a breeze!

    Oh, I am very sure that both the Little Misses received brilliant reports from the teachers! I felt that encouraging words are very important especially for young kids! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salam Acik :-D

    Syukur Alhamdulillah budak2 tu dah nak balik sini dah.

    Ala Acik, I rasa cikgu2 kat Malaysia pun boleh buat macam tu. Cuma I rasa banyak sangat aktiviti lain yang tak perlu sangat - contohnya hari sukan la - nak prepare persembahan la, nak fikir hadiah la - kalau untuk student je tak pe, tapi hadiah untuk Pengerusi PIBG la, hadiah untuk Wakil Rakyat la, buat bunga manggar la, benda2 frills yang tak menambah apa pun dalam acara tu. Yang I paling tak tahan, bab bunga manggar. Itu baru sukan, belum lagi hari penyampaian hadiah, hari kanak2 etc,...paperwork nak mintak budget belum kira lagi tu! kesian cikgu2 kita, kan? Anyway, ini pendapat tak ke mana anak bekas cikgu, menantu bekas cikgu, adik & adik ipar cikgu2 - hmmm...banyak juga connection I dengan cikgu rupanya!!!

    ReplyDelete