Monday, January 24, 2011

Of Cravings


I do have cravings from time to time.  The most recent, a marmalade.  Marmalade? You may asked. I was re-reading a book by Alexander McCall Smith the other day when there was a mention of marmalade. It brings me back to  the time when I was reading "Alice in Wonderland" many, many years back and was wondering (at that time) whether I pronounced the word correctly.  Well, since then, I do enjoy marmalade from time to time. I can't really say I love it but I do enjoy whenever I have access to it.  Unlike jam or honey or even peanut butter where you take a spoonful directly into your mouth, you cannot do the same with marmalade, the bitterness puts you off - at least in my case.  Anyway, bitter or not I really enjoy it whenever I allow myself to it- a simple indulgence more like.




So imagine my disappointment a fortnight ago when my newly bought bottle of thick cut marmalade rolled from the grocery bag as we opened the back of the car and crashed into our tiled lawn! I almost felt like crying when it happened right before my eyes! Anyway, this week I bought another and hmm.... how heavenly it was! 


Talking about marmalade, most people will have it with toast and coffee; in Alexander McCall Smith's book, the characters took it with oatcakes. I am not too choosy, I can spread it over cream crackers; toast, or even over fairy cakes!!! when this happened I will try to stabilise the sweetness by taking hot tea without sugar - I normally take my tea with sugar.




Well, before I dispose myself for the night, let me share with you some facts on Marmalade :
Why it is called Marmalade?


According to legend, French-Speaking Mary Queen of the Scots, wasn’t feeling well. She requested for her servants to make her a medicinal concoction made by boiled oranges. Soon, the kitchen room was bursting with activities, servants rushing to get her the medicine,while shouting Marie Malade, which is french for Mary Sick though leading to marmalade. 
Of course it is just a legend! Marmalade was created long before the Scottish Queen was born! Marmalade comes from the Portuguese word, Marmelada.


And yes, Marmalade has a long association with the Scottish city of Dundee, where there is a factory named the Dundee Marmalade.


The traditional citrus fruit for making marmalade is the seville orange.  It is higher in pectin than sweet oranges and the peel has a bitter taste which gives the bitterness in marmalade.


Good Night Everyone :-D


(Sources of image : dundee marmalade from www.crossroads-market.com; Alice in Wonderland from www.the-office.com; seville oranges from www.bbc.co.uk)

2 comments:

  1. Oooo baru tahu, macam gitu ker dapat nama Marmalade :) Ini mesti buat post masa tengah lapor kan ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Acik :-D

    Masa lapo tu le terbayang macam2. Agak2 you kenal tak alusmitai? I sedang teringat2 ni - habis2 pun kat sini jumpa cotton candy je! Tak sama , Babe! :-D

    ReplyDelete