Monday, April 11, 2011

A Hectic Week




The previous two weeks have been hectic. I put on long hours and worked Saturdays and Sundays too.  The firm which I worked with participated in a career fair held here in London.  Our HR Director came all the way from Head Office and it was a big annual thingy - though this is my first.

We held three and a half days of interview sessions at the office.  As I was told that there were students in the previous year who came very casually, I was quite taken when this time round all of them came with a full suit - looking seriously in need of a job! Some seemed lost, not knowing what to expect.

One asked me, "Why do I have to go through this writing assessment? I do not like to write".  Hmmm... too bad.  As I explained, we do need to write proposals, memos, reports, etc..., she started cursing herself for she said, she had "expressed" her dislike of writing to the Interviewer and seeing that her chance going down the drain.

Another asked me what I do in the Firm and when I informed him, he asked what qualification do I have.  When I told him I earned a Master's Degree, he went "What?! Even a PA with this Company has a Master's?" The nerves of that boy.  Wonder what he will be saying if he knows I am planning to further into my Doctorate, hopefully soon.

Well, now, one quite a disappointment for us is when among the students shortlisted for interview was a straight A student with a CGPA of 4.0.  However, he didn't pull it out during the interview.  Well, I wish him luck, maybe he is the Academic one - not the one who oozed confidence and capability of efficient communication. 

And on the Sunday when we have to be on duty at the booth, the response was overwhelming.  We were practically on our feet the whole time only stopping for breakfast and lunch. Seeing those young eager faces asking the right questions, just made my day no matter how exhausting it is - and sort of a consolation for spending a whole sunny Sunday indoor!

For those successful candidates, you should have received your Conditional Offer Letter by now.  Congratulations!  



  


4 comments:

  1. Ah..
    Interviews..interviews. then you have to decide who gets what..
    May Allah guide us Always..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Wan Sharif :-D

    Yeah,... May we be in His guidance always....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mia's Mom,

    Never thought such is also conducted by the firm you worked with.. If I was there, u can bet I'm among the eager faces complete with suit hoping to be interviewed and given the LO, even just as assistant to PA.. what a dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lady Florenz :-D

    Hahaha...! You humbled me my Dear, no.. no... you deserved much better than that! But it will be nice to work together.. Innit?

    ReplyDelete