Thursday, July 9, 2009

Love Thy Neighbour, ... Excuse Me

I was just coming back from sending my daughter to her kindi yesterday when my neighbour straight away blurted out her frustration. Guessed she has been dying to let go off her emotion for there's no "muqaddimah". "I was so fed-up with these cats!" started she. Well, that's enough for me to understand her predicament. We are in the same boat. You see, almost everyday we have to clean our backyard or sometimes our porch area for there's always "something" left behind by the feline society. I do not hate cats - in fact when our previous neighbour left their pregnant cat behind and she gave birth to 4 kittens, I climbed the gate to get to them and to ensure that they have enough blanket, milk and water. I did not take them over to my place as I still hope that the neighbour will come back and collect them. So, for a few days we fed them until one day when both my husband and I came back from work (I was still working at that time), the cat and kittens were gone.

Another occasion was when with two other friends we borrowed a ladder to rescue a kitten from falling down Sg Gombak (that time I was working somewhere in Jalan Melaka). No! I do not hate cats. But I do not dare to have any for a pet for its maintenance could be very high. If I have a choice I would love to own one from the Scottish fold or the Ragdoll or even the Maine Coon breed. Anyway, back to my neighbour. Her next statement was "If I can't stand it anymore I think I will poison them." Oh. OK. If at that moment I agree to her problem-solving, I have a feeling that she will just go ahead and I can almost visualize dead cats scattered all over her backyard.

To be frank, at times when I too can't take it anymore, I have the same thought as she but I do not dare to turn it into practical. So I told her (in my attempt to change her decision) "Sometimes I do wish to do the same but it is not really their fault. I guessed their owners do not have a proper tray for them. So, it doesn't help poisoning the cats - they are not the guilty party. Perhaps, it's the owner who deserved to be poisoned... " She laughed. "Perhaps.." she said. "Anyway, with the better technology, better forensic equipments and better trained forensic officers, we couldn't stand a chance if we do. We do not want to end up behind locked bar, do we?" So, our neighbourhood cats and their owners are saved. But I do hope that cat owners be more responsible.

Source of images : Scottish Fold from www.catsofaustralia.com; Ragdoll from www.catpets.org; Maine Coon from www.mainequilts.org

14 comments:

  1. So am I. I do not hate cats...but I just cant stand with "waste product"..:).
    But they are so cute kan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Zue (:-D

    Yes. "Waste product" tu la juga yang buat I fikir banyak kali when my children asked for one. Tapi macam mana pun memang they are very cute. Sekarang ni I admire dari jauh je...Lagi pun tak mampu nak maintain la... Nanti kalau tak jaga baik2 silap haribulan boleh mendatangkan dosa pulak, kan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. catwoman aje yang boleh jaga kucing-kucing dengan baik.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam DrSam (:-D

    Nanti I cuba ajak catwoman jadi neighbour I, Ok - mesti settle, Kan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. salam..kena study animal behavior ahaha, kalau proper train, kucing ni akan pandai buang najis dia kat their own toilet. Kat msia ada 2 ekor cute persian cat...miss them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salam Arsaili (:-D

    Tu yang frustrating about the cat owners sometimes. Sebab kalau di"train" kucing ni takkan membuang merata-rata. I remember my late Aunty, banyak kucing dia (asal ada kucing datang dia bela) tapi semua pandai gi "washroom". Maksudnya, yang stray pun boleh di"toilet train" kan. He3X. BTW, ada gambar the 2 persians tak?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam. I have no reason to hate cats but when they come around and leave some of their wastes behind then my temperature does shoot up. To poison those cats, that's too cruel. May i share with you on how to teach those nasty cats not to trespass yr compound. Cats generally do not like wet ground. So make it a point to wet your compound with just plain water, lots ow water esp before going to bed or if you know the timing, just wet the ground before the cats do their business. Do it quite regularly to break the cats habits, say probably for a week or so and usually you'll solve the problem. If they come back again few months down the road, repeat the ground water spraying. That's all. BUT if you have your house compound the size of the sultan's palace, then you must go & ask the sultan as to how they manage to solve the problem heh3X.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salam Bluesman (:-D),

    Thank you for your advise. I'll put it to practice immediately. Sultan's compound? He3x. My compound tak sampai besar pecacai Sultan punya compound pun....keh3X. Nasib baik juga Selangor's Government subsidise part of the water bill. I'll be happily wetting my compound...(:-D Oh yes! Most importantly I have to also inform my neighbour before,... well... we can't be too sure can we?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salam Mia'sMom. Preferably all your immediate neighbours need to do the same too, i mean the ground wetting. You may stop after a week or so and don't forget to repeat a few days later to break the cats habit. And if you know the source as to where these cats are coming from, sending the owners some emails or some unsigned snail mails about the problem may also help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salam Bluesman (:-D

    I did inform my next door neighbour when I saw her yesterday. She said she'll try. I did yesterday and this morning there's none in my porch area. My backyard, I'll try it tonite.

    That's the problem. I do not know the owner. But these cats are not stray cats because they have beautiful shiny furs, fat as in well-fed and they are not scared of people too. One morning about two weeks ago while I was busy preparing breakfast for my husband & children, there's a mewing sound at our back door. When I opened the door there stood a cat and it confidently get indoor - one confused cat. Think it made a mistake - so we laughed and make a conclusion that perhaps it was drunk and got into the wrong house. Goodness me how hard it was to get it out of our house - see? Yang macam ni pun ada...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Salam Mia'sMom. And since those cats are not strays, it's even easier to know who the owners are. Just catch & keep the cats confined for a few hours and soon enough the owners may just come around looking for them. If you care to keep them a bit longer you may even "collect" a handsome reward later on, heh3x!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Salam Mia,

    They are so cute. I love them very much. But I cant stand with their wasted,bad smell. What to do? in our country life, our friend next door always left we work alone even the burden is their belongs.

    One thing when everything going well, we a parth alone in belonging. As what you said - Life as it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Salam Bluesman (:-D

    Are you sure i can get a handsome reward for keeping their pets longer? Takut tak dapat bigger reward, bigger "*^#dush#@" yang dapat....(:<

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salam Zedmagel (:-D

    You're right there pal... life goes on, ya?

    ReplyDelete