Friday, July 10, 2009

Yet Another Visit .... Part 2

Danish, Aqil & Mia absorbing nature. The first night in the wilderness. Though they have been spending most of what is left of the day in the water and by right they should be tired and sleepy by now, but it seemed like they need a little "used-to". As for Mia, she hardly sleep early - doe not matter where she is.

Early in the first morning, my man was already busy "building" a kitchen shelf for me.



The finished shelf. How proud am I of my man (:-D. As you can see, part of our pots and pans, cooking oil and coconut milk.


Among our ration - we hardly go without honey and of course kicap kipas udang. And more importantly the nursing bottle - you can spot it can't you?

Highlight of the day. My man finally caught the King of the River - seen here happily and proudly holding what else but KELAH! (If I am not mistaken it is called Empurau in Sarawak)




A happy moment like this need to be shared. Father and children happily posing with the "golden" catch. Our day went as smoothly as possible. What with the potential of savouring Kelah the next day. Back when I was still a young child, we never thought that Kelah will be scarce to find. I remembered the days when I followed my brother Zaid fishing. More often than not, we will bring back one or two kelah home. Hence when I first met my husband and he told me about his craze over kelah I was quite dumbfounded. In my heart I was like "Craze over Kelah? Something must be wrong" Little that I know then. Kelah is slowly vanishing from our rivers. However, with the steps taken by the Wildlife Department, serious efforts are being taken to ensure the continuity of Kelah existence. Since last year the Dept had set up a Kelah Sanctuary at Lubuk Pertang some 10 minutes boat ride from Lubuk Kaloi where we set camp. I'll tell you more in the next entry.

10 comments:

  1. wow, that's a nice outing. U really slept in the jungle with the family ? are there rangers around ? so the kelah ended at the frying pan ? I tot it's a protected species.
    I once went for kelah fishing at merapoh taman negara. we were alone and i was so worry about wild animals since we were left alone by the boat man in the middle of the jungle along the river. u know, wild animals like to come to the river for drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi kbguy (:-D

    Yeah. We did. The first time for us too sleeping in a tent in a jungle. I'm so glad that it went smoothly though on the 2nd nite I was stung by a very small bee-like creature and my face was swollen all over. However, thanks to my husband for bringing all the medicine that he can think of and though there's kind of allergy reaction I was OK after sleeping it through.

    By our camp site? No. No ranger. Our protection from wild animals and insects are only by keeping a fire burning and pouring sulphur all around the tent.

    Kelah is a protected specie. However, at Taman Negara Kuala Koh, at certain area it is allowable. However, one cannot huny for kelah in the sanctuary area at Lubuk Pertang. If I'm not mistaken, at Taman Negara Pahang it is not allowable at all.

    Did you managed to catch a kelah during your trip in Taman Negara Merapoh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam Mia's Mom,

    Hope good sleep without nightmare. Sleeping in a tent in wildness of jungle in Taman Negara is not easy time. Time running slowly, its a rounding by the jungle's origin music. I can feel it.

    Very cool jungle fresh air, make we sleep early without TV and nothing, only by what we own.

    Ha..ha.. luckily your bring mopiko during stung by small wild bee, if not that swollen will at you until Shah Alam. I'm Very pity of that. But the challenging you got, is no wage compared.

    Again...Where the mum hiding? only dad inter frame alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam. Having your own kitchen shelf out there Huh? And how do you cook your Kelah usually?

    ReplyDelete
  5. best benar dapat tangkap fish..

    *one of my life's mission, -to fish a fish-*

    bangga la, semua 5 orang nak pegang for the foto

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salam Zedmagel (:-D

    Well, as you said the experience gained is priceless. swollen or not! (:-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam Bluesman (:-D,

    Yep! My own kitchen shelf. Kelah? It is best when goreng just goreng. But this time we panggang it, then gulai tempoyak part of it. Still, nothing compares to goreng. As when goreng, even the scales taste like keropok - no kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salam Ida (:-D

    You already caught one and a loving one at that ... Lucky you, Lady (:-D

    Yang ramai2 tu tumpang se"tangan" je!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salam, so many good things have been said about kelah, and the best way to eat them is just by frying them ya, i didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear, it's me Roslinda..we accidentally bumped at each other at Tesco Shah Alam..?? So really really happy to meet long lost friend. Nice reading yr blog. However, mind if I ask u about yr hubby. Looks familiar to me..mcm rupa my ex-school mate kat Klang..Maybe bukan kot..

    ReplyDelete