Saturday, November 6, 2010

An Embarrassing Moment....!



For the past week I was actually feeling under the weather! I mean really2 under the weather. Throbbing pain in my head which just refused to go away (I was already preparing if it is some sort of tumour! Cheh!). Truth is I always experienced that kind of throbbing pain on the left side of my head. Sometimes it lasted five minutes, sometimes half an hour but the most recent seemed just to stay. I woke up, took some medications and went back to sleep. Even when my Boss called last Wednesday, it was my husband answering  the call. I was sleeping and it was only 7.00 p.m. And that was not the first time I slept that day.



As I was saying in my previous entry, I was feeling unwell since Sunday but I still brought my children to the Circus. I was actually shivering throughout the show. So Monday, my husband brought me to the Medical Centre which is about 10 minutes walk from our house. When we got to see the Doctor, there was another person in there - a youngish guy. "I hope you don't mind. This is Thomas, he is a 3rd year Medical student. If you do not want him to be here, I will ask him to leave" said Dr. Sims. We told her we were quite all right with him being there. Dr Sims examined me - I have viral fever, sore throat and soon will get flu - great! So! What went wrong?



Well, before I tell you, let me just bring you back to a little bit of my background. Prior to resigning from my previous job, I was actually the person who sort-of handling the administrative part of the London operation of the Bank which I worked for - so, I am actually among others, very familiar with the Human Resource aspect of the local staff of the Branch. So, when I said, it is embarrassing, it is very embarrassing!!!!

Right, let's continue with my story. Dr. Sims was asking me where I worked at and what my job is, so, I simply told her that I worked at Central London as a PA cum HR Administrator. There I was, feeling as weak as weak could be and before my brain can actually stop the orchestration between my vocal chord and the mechanism of opening and shutting my mouth, I heard myself asking, "Is there a possibility of getting a medical chit or sickness certificate?" which of course was the wrong thing to ask. But the damaged was done. I was at that moment a disgrace to the HR profession (those familiar with UK labour law at least) to whom I should apologise - I mean really apologise - Sorry....


So, Dr. Sims apologetic as she sound was explaining to me, "Well, actually the law here is that you are allowed self-certification sick leave up until one week." Yeah,.. yeah... tell me 'bout it... ".....but if you are still unwell after that, you can come and see me again upon which I will issue you the sickness certificate. But of course, if the company you worked with requires it, I will issue one for you but I am afraid I have to charge you." Nothing that I don't know actually... But since I was already in that position, I decided to play along, "Thank you for telling me that Dr., I think there is a lot more for me to learn. I am still in the handing-over stage, no wonder I seen some of the Self-Certification Forms - now I know what it is for." "I am sorry if I sound like teaching you..." said Dr. Sims. And great. Now both of us were feeling guilty! "So, I guess I know where to get hold of that form." I said. "Yeah..." said Thomas the Medical student "with the HR Dept which is yourself!" Yeah, rub it in! But, well, we (my husband included) just laugh it off. Hey! Now if that's not diplomacy, what is?!

HAPPY WEEKENDS EVERYONE!! :-D

(Sources of Images : mimosa pudica from www.rain-tree.com; passion flower from foxhillnursery.net; cupcakes from www.faircake.co.uk)

No comments:

Post a Comment