Saturday, December 19, 2009

The first snow ....


Thursday (Dec. 17, 2009) was my final paper for the semester. As I left the Exam Hall, I saw my friend Monica (a Nigerian but has been living in Edinburgh for the past 6 years) looking a bit unhappy. Well, I asked her how was the paper. "It was what I did for my coursework. But everything that I have studied escaped my mind." she said. well, I understand that. I understood how it exactly feels like. In my case, for one of my papers, I did not managed to complete all three questions required. I only answered two - and I am already thinking of re-sitting next semester - no used to think too much about it. It's gone and done with - nothing I can do to make it better - oh... how I wished I could turn the time - but that's not possible and I have to carry on.

I let Monica poured out her frustration to me and I asked her to join me for coffee. It was while we were enjoying our coffee (me - my latte; she - her cappucino) when we saw through the large window at the Union's cafetaria that - Snow is coming down! It kept on pouring for about 20 minutes then it stopped. Then I remembered. My children at home! They have been listening to the weather forecast and since Monday, it was forecasted that it will be snowing on Thursday. The night before they have been asking whether the snow will come down during the night or during the day - they do not want to miss the first snow. And I have promised them if it is thick enough we can have snow fight!

I told Monica about my children's enthusiasm. And she said they will be enjoying Edinburgh if we can travel down - "Princess street is fully decorated for Christmas - they'll love it you know - they'll be some rides as well - do come if you can manage it." Well, I know it must be. Edinburgh must be lovely now, ready for the celebration. How I wished we can really travel down.

After departing with Monica, I rushed home - that's not before I wished her Merry Christmas - Hakim was letting me in "Ibu, I saw, we saw, it was snowing just now but it stopped after some time."

"Yeah! It's still very thin. Let's wait for a few days when it'll get thicker. It'll be a White Christmas then this year! My friend said if we can drive to Edinburgh, we can see how beautiful the city is this time of year."

"Can we?"

"We'll have to wait for your father - after all, we'll have to see whether it is safe to travel - the road will be slippery and the car is not fit for travelling in the snow."

"If we can get it fixed?"

"We'll see. Remember? Safety first?"

And with that, they were capitulated.

It has been a few days now. It was thicker yesterday. But still not enough for snow fighting! And further still from building a snowman.



(Mia on the way to school yesterday. She enjoyed her walk despite the cold. When I reached home after sending her, my fingers were all numb. Took some time before I was out of my coat!)

(Image of University of Dundee from http://www.dundee.ac.uk/)

No comments:

Post a Comment