Friday, January 15, 2010

First step




After sending the children to school today and almost fell flat on a few occasions in the process, I came back to an empty house.  Normally I will come back together with Aqil but not today and not anymore. Suddenly the word "empty-nesters" came to me. The emptiness of home gives a very unsettled feeling - may be I need some time to accustom myself to this.

We have applied for Aqil to enrol at the St Ninian Nursery since September last year.  However as the intake is only twice a year - on August and January and there is no vacant place at that time we have to wait until January.   When the Spring term starts on January 6, we were informed that there is no place for Aqil. So, we have to wait until August.  I am quite OK with that, actually. Aqil is a shy kid and somehow I have a feeling that he's not ready for school yet (even if it is a Nursery!). He has never been separated with me. And when I go for my classes, his father will be home with him. I'm secretly smiling when there is no place for him yet.

However, two days ago (Tuesday), I received a call from Mrs. Longmuir informing me there is a place for Aqil.  So, yesterday I went to see her and Mrs. Ross (the Early Years Practitioner) and came back with a stack of forms to fill in and a handbook.

And so, today I sent my wee boy to school.  I left as soon as I could after a few words with the teacher (and leaving my contact no just in case). I walked home alone.  Snow is already melting and so the pathway is very slippery.  I hoped for him to be OK. It's his first step in education. His first step for whatever he will be in the future. And I, have a mixed feelings.

When the phone rang at 11.25, I was almost jumping! It's my kindly neighbour asking whether I am going to fetch Aqil.  Opps! I jumped into my coat and boots and ran all the way to the nursery! Trust me to be engrossed with something and forgetting the time.  I have planned to leave the house at 11.20 but.... I reached there breathless but I saw him happily playing with the slide with Mrs Ross watching him.  They were laughing in fact. And he looked happy.  When I asked him whether he enjoyed himself, he said yes but he said "Why is it so long before you get me back?" I just have no answer for that.  Instead I asked him "Did you cry?" His answer was "I did, just a little. Three times. I put my head down every time." I smiled. "Would you like to go again tomorrow?" "Yes!" He said.  Syukur Alhamdulillah - that's easy for a first day. I hope he knows how proud I am of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment