Friday, May 15, 2009

Kindness Treasured

Surely we brought back memories from our travels - does not matter where we went to. For places that we went to, for beautiful landscapes that we passed through - these can be brought back, captured through our lenses. However, there are something else which I considered more important and goes beyond those captured memories - it's the people that you met along the way. People you wished to meet again in future - People whom we met by chance but gave lasting impact in our heart. Here are three stories of the people that my family and I met during our travels :

Kuching, Sarawak

We met him on the tour bus. And he's on his way home after completing his job for the day. I can't exactly remember how we started having conversation with him but it ended with him promising to give us a tour the next day since he will be off-duty. When we got back to the Hotel that night we were still wondering if Abu's offer is real.

The next morning, sure enough Abu called asking what time we'll be ready and he'll be there when we are. Then we knew he's genuine and I for one felt guilty when I have that slight doubtful feeling the night before. When we met him at the Hotel lobby, Abu was already waiting with his friend Haji whom he said will be our chauffeur for the day. So, off we go to Sarawak Cultural Village enjoying the beautiful green views along the way. On the way back, we dropped by at Damai Beach - since Mia was sleeping (she's about a year old that time so I didn't really got the chance to get down), Abu happily took my two elder children to the beach. On our way back, we had lunch at one of the Seafood Restaurant at the beachfront. We had a really wonderful time. And to me, meeting Abu makes the journey very smooth indeed. As Muslim, I believe, this is part of Rezki too.

Abu's kindness did not just end there. Not long after my trip, my close friend planned a trip to Kuching and I contacted Abu. He said he will arrange something with his friends as he himself could not make it - He had already taken his off day for the week. And arranged he did. My friend and her family had a wonderful time too! Thank you, Abu. Well, I guessed if we have more Abus in this world, the world surely is a happier place. And I pray to the Al-Mighty that Abu's life is blessed with good things.

Bus No 23 from Oxford Street to Bayswater

I was carrying Mia as she refused to get down. Her father was folding her stroller to be put on the allocated space in the bus. The bus was full and I had to stand carrying Mia who's hanging to my neck with both hands. The seat beside me were occupied by two women (it's no use telling of what origin they were as they are not the focus of my story) busily chatting. Suddenly just as the bus was moving, I heard a voice half yelling "Hey! You two women! Get up! Can't you see there's a women holding a child beside you??! I turned my head and saw a black woman - herself carrying a child on her back (with a back carrier). "It's OK.." I told her. "No M'am it's not OK. These two fat women are so selfish" she said. "Hey!" she yelled again. "Get up! Up! Up! This lady here need the seat more than you! UP! UP!" By this time the two women had to get up and without looking at me or the black woman moved to the back. "You sit down now!" said the woman. I obeyed "Thank you" I said 'Come! You need it too." I said. "No, M'am. I am OK. I can't sit with the carrier and I have to hold this bicycle" She said with a smile pointing at the newly bought child size bicycle. "Anyway, I'm going down at Sussex Garden. I'm OK."

I said another "Thank you" as she got down at her station and waved her goodbye. She waved back with a smile followed by a thumb up sign. She may be quite harsh with her words but she meant well. That reminded me that kindness goes beyond races, skin colours and religious beliefs. I looked out for her every time we passed by Sussex Garden during our stay but I didn't see her anymore. I hope that she's well and life is not hard on her and I hope I can meet her again - yep I remember pretty well how she looks like.

Along the way to Peak Village, Matlock

We have been there before but somehow we felt like we're lost. So, we stopped as we saw a country shop by the roadside. I got out asking myself, should I just ask for direction or should I buy something and ask while paying. But before I can do anything a smiling voice greeted me. "Good morning, dear, anything I can do for you?". I move closer to the counter - a smiling elderly face awaited me. "Well, actually, we're on our way to the Peak Village and was wondering if we are on the right track." I said. "Hmmm... OK." she said. She took out a piece of paper and draw a "map" of how to get there explaining to me as she did. Finished, she hold my arms and said "It's OK dear" said she "Don't feel guilty if you don't buy anything here. Just be safe and have a good time at the Village" she continued. I said thank you and how I appreciate her help and left. Makes me wonder how many of our fellow countrymen (and women) are willing to give the right and correct directions when asked. Majority will just give a general direction with the hope that if the people asking for directions got lost, there'll be others whom they can ask.

There are other stories of kindness but maybe next time. As for my children, I hope that they can sample these act of kindness and make them a better person. I can see that from his first trip to UK, Danish came back ever willing to hold the door for strangers and pick up rubbish which were thrown on the floor. And he never hesitate in giving a helping hand but sometimes his eagerness ended in some unpleasantness to himself - for that he has to learn another lesson. Anyway, they made friends during their travel.

(Source of images : pink iceberg rose from www.mooseyscountrygarden.com ; others - own collection)

14 comments:

  1. The world, we are living in, became a very hostile, but there are people with a good hearts, and I'm certain, they will increase their nombers.

    Very sweet story :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valentin,

    How beautiful if the number grows, right? Then, we can stop worrying about safety, about almost everything.... (:-D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. salam...we are blessed with good people that we come across in our life....im trying my best to help other people because of all these while Allah always send someone when im in need....

    Masih contact Abu ker? where about in kuching is he? im from kuching too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam Arsaili (:-D),

    The last time I contacted him, he is still working for Crowne Plaza Riverside (this is the hotel beside Kuching Hilton, right? - forgive me - sometimes my memory failed me).

    Actually, there's a lot of truth in what you said, when we treated people kindly and with courtesy, somehow we will come across people who'll be doing the same to us - At least I believe in that. As it is, Allah is very fair. (:-D)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting stories. At the end of the day, kindness is indeed colour & gender blind. But then again there are always a mixture of good & bad hearts around. It's through such existence that we are able to appreciate (& treasure) one and draw the line against the other. One good turn deserves another, it may not be all the time but most of the times i believe. Tell us more of similar stories ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. children need to be taught and showed the art on how to be more humanly to each other. It is our responsibility as a parent. I believe, If we are kind enough, the kindness will come to us one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. salam umm mia,

    Apa yg dikatakan itu sememangnya betul, budi dan jasa seseorang tidak senang dilupai.
    Jahrera melayan dengan sebaik mungkin kepada tetamu ke pulau ini, baik yang berkursus atau mengembara.
    Mereka pulang membawa kenangan (:jahrera) yg tidak dapat mereka lupakan lagi hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. many kind person we met along our life journey...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salam Bluesman (:-D),

    Yes, I agree. When it doesn't turn out that way, it is only the test from above - just wanted to see if our faith in unshattered. (:-D)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salam DrSam (:-D),

    You are right. More often than not, children are the reflection of their parents. Such, we are trying hard to set an example to instil good values in them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Salam JahRera (:-D),

    Betul tu! Teringat cerita "bila Abu balik" (:-D)Untung Abu dapat bekal. Tapi memang betul JahRera, rezeki jadi lebih murah bila tetamu dilayan dengan baik, kan? Moga2 dapat kumpul duit dan dapat melancung ke Okinawa (tahun bila la agaknya baru dapat kumpul sebanyak tu ya?... Nak pergi Jepun melancung dalam akaun bank kena ada perbelanjaan 6 bulan stay kat sana - nampak gaya tunggu cerita JahRera saja la... (:-D)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Salam Zue (:-D),

    Yeah... and they make our life beautiful and bearable (:-D)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mia Mom's,

    Kuching is very clean and beautiful city to visit.

    I was there for a few time. Kuching's people is very kind. Across the river you can find a factory dayang's sarawak cake at kampung boyan and you can buy more because it so cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salam Zedmagel,

    I agree. The people are very kind. I really hope that I can visit Kuching once more before starting my Jihad. Will try to get the cake if I did. And we would like to meet Abu again.

    ReplyDelete