Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Oh Dear Me!!!....

I am a very absent minded person. Yes. That is a fact. I do not know whether this is because there are a lot of things that I am thinking of that my brain cannot organize them properly anymore or an effect for being anaemic or well … there are a lot of possibilities. I am not worried if it does not jeopardise anything but there have been occasions when …let me tell you one.

One of our favourite dishes is the oxtail soup. It takes a long time to prepare as it needs to be boiled first until the fleshy parts soften and easy to be enjoyed later.

So, on that day (a Sunday if I’m not mistaken), I was boiling the oxtail while preparing all the base ingredients – shallots, garlic, young ginger, red onion, star anise, cardamom, cinnamon stick and cloves – ready. Then I started blending them. Finish. I started chopping shallots to make fried shallots - to be taken with the soup. Next - chopping the Chinese parsley and green onion. Done. Just waiting for the oxtail to be boiled before putting in the blended ingredients. While waiting I fried the shallots. Done. And I still have to wait for the oxtail to be boiled.

I started clearing the mess (“courtesy of my children”) at the living area. Then I started vacuuming and mopping the floor. At this point my husband came down and said that it’s time to do the grocery shopping. So, I woke my children up (they were taking their nap) and we started getting ready to go out.

We finished our shopping and before we got back, we went to my in-laws house which is not that far away and spent some time there. Then, since I left something at my sister’s house in our previous visit, we dropped by and of course we spent some time there too. Now, just as I got into the car, something hit me! I was cold all over. Goodness! Now I remember! Just to clear my conscience I asked my husband, “Did you put out the fire before we left?” “What fire?” he asked me back. “You’re not telling me that you have something cooking on the stove?” I must be white all over by that time. “Get in the car!” he said “Quick!” I remembered how hard I prayed all the way home. I prayed that we can still reach home before anything happen to the house – worst still the neighbouring houses.











As we neared our neighbourhood I was quite relief to see that there’s no smoke coming up to the air. But it is not until we reached home that I was fully relieved. No. There’s no fire. My house is still standing. I rushed to the kitchen where a weird smell greeted me. Smokes came out from the pot. I took off the lid. More smoke and more smell of burnt oxtail. The water already dried, my pot , well… that is the moment when I am thankful for deciding to be quite extravagant in purchasing my pots and pans ( bought when I was still working, mind you! So I did not feel guilty buying the set). My pot other than a bit black is still in its pre-burnt condition. But, good quality pots or not, after that incident, I asked my husband and children to always remind me to ensure everything -switches and plugs were off before we left the house – the iron (yes, I’ve quite similar history with the iron too!), the heater, the kettle, everything and of course – the stove.

I read somewhere that there are fun ways of increasing one’s memory and alertness. These include doing certain puzzles and games. I like that – if you asked me, now I am in the middle of playing a hidden puzzle game. Last week I have just completed doing my son’s Little Giant Book of Mathematical Puzzles. Absentminded or not, I’m having fun! Cheers! (:-D)


Sources of images : white lemon daffodil from www.garden4u.co.uk; oxtail soup from www.alohavalley.com; pots on stove from www.bp.com and pink magnolia from www.mooseyscountrygarden.com.

21 comments:

  1. A momentary lapse of memory... kes naya betul ni. nasib baik you tak tertinggal anak you kat shopping mall ke...nauzubillah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam DrSam,

    Hmmph... hopefully it will not reach that level (:-D). Now my family members can already accept if I stop in mid sentence. I even forget what I was about to say. I don't know if I can go through my studies nanti. Tengok2 5 tahun tak siap2, orang ingat dah sampai PhD rupanya Master's tak lepas lepas. Baru 10 minutes Lecturer cakap dah lupa - macam mana ya?! (:-D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. tu le you. dulu asyik minum air dengan semut. orang tua-tua cakap makan semut boleh jadi pelupa.

    I pun harap macam tu juga. Di dundee harap-harap Scotsmen tak lah terkujat bila you asyik sebut "Opocoooootttt"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam DrSam,

    Sabar je la. Apa2 pun, I nak bawa banyak2 sarung pelikat as souvenirs for them - sebab tak la dia orang marah sgt - asyik2 muka I je yang nak jumpa - sbb dah lupa belajar apa...

    Agaknya la kut! Tentu2 semut yang dah meninggalkan dunia, kan? Coming to think about it - minum bangk.. la ya kiranya? Patutla....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mia's Mom,

    Now I know I made right decision not to cook and avoid ironing .. hehe (such a lame excuse indeed !! )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salam Mia'sMom.
    Your opening remarks..."I am a very absent minded person. Yes. That is a fact." No wonder you tend to be forgetful because you keep reminding yourself to be forgetful. Never ever say such a statement unless.....I'll give you a small but powerful trick on how to erase this negative thinking. So every time when you find yourself thinking or saying something (or anything) negative like the above remarks, you must immediately make an effort to neutralise it by saying the opposite. Eg. "I'm a very absent minded person....but i can improve on the situation and i must ensure that i'll truly become a person who can remember everything!" My advice is not to put yourself down as you'll end up down there before you even realise it. This trick can be taught to your children when preparing for their schoolwork or exams too.

    Sorry to hear about your spoilt ox-tail soup, my, that's a lot of cholesterol, so it's no loss actually, heh3X.

    Some exercise to strengthen your momory, try remembering what you did yesterday from morning till night in detail, then go one day before that and another day before that...after sometimes you'll find great improvemeent in your memory. The best part is that you can do it whilst having your coffee or tea and munching your favourite cookies on your sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam Lady Florenz (:-D),

    Now you are giving me an idea. Can I blame it on my condition when laziness overcome me? Especially the ironing part? (:-D0 You know me and you know I hate ironing the most.... Well, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salam Bluesman (:-D),

    Thank you for the advice. Yeah. Coming to think about it, there is a lot of truth in that. I have come to term with myself - accepting. You see, there's even a joke at home. My son was wondering if I became a member of the Society of Absentminded People, chances are I may not come to any of the meeting as with many others as not one of us can remember the date. Well, I'm going to try harder and like you said having fun doing it - hope I will not forget...(:-D)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes...too many things to do..then we miss and forget something...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salam Zue (:-D),

    Thank you Zue for sharing what I suspected. Maybe I should start making list again. It is a tiring business being absentminded. I must try harder. (:-D)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mia Mom's,

    Look delicious oxtail soup, it very good if I can taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Salam Mia'sMom.
    See, you keep repeating (meaning reinforcing your position)about your negative condition when replying to Zue's comments. Absent mindedness is a serious problem which could be avoided. To me it's just a creation of habits. Try my earlier recipe and lets reserve the so-called absent mindedness for those professors who're treading along the faculty corridors to enjoy their celebrity status,...sorry ya profs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Salam Zedmagel (:-D),

    It's one of my family's favourite. And except for the boiling part which can take hours it is very simple to prepare. Anyway, I'll tell you the next time it's cooking... hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salam Bluesman (:-D)

    Guess I'm just frustrated with myself - I used to have a very good memory and I wanted so much to be, again. I can even remember what page of which book and which publication an answer to a question is. And the closest friends rely on me to memorise their account nos and so on. I have started with keywords and images to what I want and have to remember. It's quite slow but making progress. You are right it's serious! I'll be positive from now on - no use reminiscing if I can't go back to that memory I once have. I MUST HAVE IT BACK!! Thank you, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Frustrated? don't be as by so saying you are just admitting it and such admission tantamounts to self reinforcement. I hope you'll become much better. Have a re-look at your diet and check out on the vitamins esp the B's & other supplements as i believe something is lacking somewhere. Apart from that continue to look out for memory & brain exercises to supplement your effort. I've been a keen follower of Steve Gillman for sometimes, check him out at www.IncreaseBrainpower.com, there are many useful tips for the brain. No harm in checking it out. Salam.

    ReplyDelete
  16. salam...sometime absent minded is something unavoidable. So my dad always make it a practise, before leaving the house, he will inspect the house, switch off any electrical appliciances, check the kitchen, check the window etc..while waiting semua berkemas..ahahah especially my mum yg selalu the last person...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Salam Mia's Mom,
    Pls stick a big notice board("DAH TUTUP API KE?") on your door or at the area you might see first before walk out ......I believe all your kids will remind you...!

    Chow...

    ReplyDelete
  18. My problem is I can't recall certain thing in an instant, but I will remember it after some time. In another words, it's slow.
    Maybe it's the age. Any suggestion for that ?

    ReplyDelete
  19. @kbguy:
    take some supplements, B complex esp B12. If you like oysters eat them too as the high zinc contents therein helps in promoting good memory. There's one supplement called Subex obtainable from any pharmacy, which takes care of B12 & zinc. try them

    ReplyDelete
  20. great info

    i also very babo. dah tua & have so much on my mind. lama lama clustered rasa brain & don't know what to do first

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mia Mom's,

    No new entry? Still in the blank.....

    ReplyDelete