Saturday, April 24, 2010

Oh Dear Me!



Well, I was still lying in bed this morning - still recovering from a minor fever which I managed to catch while walking in the rain yesterday. My mind is still trying to remember the fact about the Non-Parametric Methods. So, there is not much requirement for the Mann-Whitney-Wilcoxon Test. Only that at least the measurement scale is ordinal. Doesn't require interval data, doesn't even have to assume a normally distributed population... At this point I was interupted by my daughter Damia. She came rushing into the room announcing "I want the Kaka..!" And imagine my confusion - from statistic facts to the very reality of life which came so suddenly and announcing something somewhat foreign as well.

"What?! What is it that you want?" I asked her back.

"This!" She said showing me a crispy new packet which she had with her.

And imagine how I feel when the words written on the packet is simply "Cucur Ikan Bilis". Well, I should have stopped there, but I can't let it go.

Damia starts her reading lesson here. And that explains her pronunciation and slang and whatever else. And the fact that we are bilingual at home does not really help either.  Now, it makes me think of the time when I asked her "Di mana Mia letak Mia punya kasut tadi?" and the response that I received is "Kotak dalam". Well, I really have to work something out. So much that I want her to be bilingual or even trilingual or to absorb as many languages as she could, she has to be good in all of them. Guess it is time to go to ebay and get some Malay books for my Mia. Oh Dear me!!!

6 comments:

  1. mmm do whatever it takes as you're after all Mia's Mom and i must now go and find my packet of kaka heh3x

    ReplyDelete
  2. you don't have to worry sis. Kids is just like a 'rebung' and always easy to adapt to the new environment. My eldest once spoke very fluent Geordie slang, but now he speaks Manglish purrrfectly...normal distribution however doesn't fit us the adult well when it comes to language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam Bluesman :-D

    Enjoy your Kaka, yeah! Actually we just received a parcel from my parents-in-law yesterday. A box full of ikan bilis, a dozen Kari Kambing in tin, fish crackers, kaka udang & ikan bilis and the lot. Mia was happily rummaging through the things when she found the kaka last night (according to her father - I was not at home that time - studying at a friend's house) She made him promised to cook it today. But her father did not tell her what the thing in the packet is called. So, she figured it out herself. Kids! One of this day, I may have a heart attack from their antics! Happy Weekend, yeah :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam Dr Sam :-D

    This morning, I asked her to "Letak pinggan di dapur." And I heard her whispering to Danish, "Danish, can you show me where dapur is." Of course I am worried. But, if your little Geordie can become a purrfect Manglish, then I have not much to worry.

    Oh yes, normal distribution does not really fit us adult perhaps that is why they introduce margin of error! :-D

    Happy Weekend & Salam to Sis Zaida, yeah! :-D

    BTW, the Corning factory was closed down in 2006!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the info on the Corning factory. Next in your itinerary should be Bradford (Leeds) for the Queens...and ....and...I hope they are still standing tall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salam DrSam :-D

    No prob. Actually I was quite excited at the possibility of a pence a piece of corning. Such I searched for the postcode in the net (to feed the satnav!). That's how I know that it was closed down! Though I was voted out for Beamish Museum, I love that visit to Durham. We visited the Railway Museum in Shildon, Tweedle Animal Farm and of course the Dalton Retail Village!

    ReplyDelete