Sunday, May 9, 2010

Our Trip to Durham County Part 2


Guess it is time for me to continue with the story on our trip to Durham County last Easter hols. Our SatNav which is not of the later model old made our way not as straightforward. A journey which should take us around 4 hours turned out to be nearly 6. But, as it goes, there is always the brighter side when anything happened not according to plan. For us, it is the breathtaking view of the North Pennines. MasyaAllah.... that is all I can say. Looking at such beauty and serenity made me feel so small and humble. I kept on whispering Alhamdulillah and Subhanallah thanking the Al-Mighty for everything that He Blessed me with - of life, of a wonderful and loving family and I pray that He will never make me forget my humble beginning and most importantly never let me stray away from His embrace. Too mesmerized was I that I forgot to take any shot!

Rookhope is a beautiful village about 40 minutes away from Durham City. With miles and miles of farms and hills, farmhouses dotted along the way. And since it is already spring, there're newborn lambs lying beside their mums, some still wobbly, trying to get up and fall almost as soon, horses happily nibbling away. How I wish I could capture them all and share it with all of you. We kept imagining how beautiful Rookhope will be come summer.




Rookhope Burn Cottage is reached through a little wooden bridge under which flows a river. Such idyllic. And the cottage itself is extremely clean. Though it is situated in a rural setting, it has all the modern convenience expected for comfortable living.  The thoughtful caretaker even have some good books (by John Grisham and a few others which I have forgotten by now! Sorry) and a few games (dominoes and hoopla) to keep the children entertained!


Anyway, on the first day of our stay, we went to Shildon to visit the National Railway Museum. And what fun we have there.


Aqil looking at the whole plan of the Museum



Steam Engine Anyone?


Building 2 where we learn a lot about the history of railway at Shildon and Timothy Hackworth, the man behind it all 


We were all excited with this display! Keruing from Malaysia


Wondering what they were doing?


They were trying to assemble their own engine! Mia with the Work-in-Progress


In front of the goods wagon


Aqil feeling heavenly in front of the models from Thomas the Tank Engine. He loves Thomas & Friends!


Below are a few models of engine from earlier






Douglas or Donald with Emily?


Emily & Henry?


Mia concentrating painting her mug



Hakim designing his


Aqil was painting his mug when he lost interest and Danish had to come for rescue!

Well, we did have a real good time at Shildon. The children enjoyed it so. Next, our visit to the City of Durham. Till then :-D 

6 comments:

  1. Salam Mia's Mom,
    It's good to take a long break when your minds are a bit too hectic kan. It makes us calm down a bit I guess :-).
    Anyone yang loves trains must be in high heavens going to that museum, heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saya pernah juga sampai ke Durham awal tahun baru ni. Kebetulannya salji tengah lebat, ladang-ladang tu semuanya putih. Subhanallah, mmg cantik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam LG :-D

    Actually I love trains. My brother went to boarding school and when he came back, it is always by train. So, you see I love trains since very young because they bring my brother back. Next, I fell in love with E. Nesbit book - The Railway Children. Then comes Thomas & the Tank Engine - cantik! Hehehe...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam fa10 :-D

    Agaknya kalau semua putih lagi cantik, kut! I cuba pergi masa winter, tak tahan sejuk. Tapi, it's true, jauh perjalanan banyak pengalaman kan? Dan semuanya bukti Ciptaan-Nya yang hebat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cerita ni di Durham UK ke di Durham US?. I'm new in Durham US (Belum seminggu lagi) tapi gambar2 tu macam asing je.

    Jumpa blog ni tadi sebab tgh search info ttg Durham, nak cari Asian Grocery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salam Hazrah :-D

    Ni Durham UK. Patutlah you nampak macam lain je! Hopefully you dah jumpa the Asian Grocery shop by now. Salam sama2 merantau ya! :-D

    ReplyDelete