Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Story to Share


As part of the supporting documents to apply for my children's visa, we have to attach the Certified True Copy of the photo and  visa pages of my passport.  So, last Tuesday, we went to the City Centre - quite confident are we to get all three copies certified at the legal firm which service we have been using previously.

Unfortunately we were told that the Notary Public will be back only "after the first week of June". Hmmm.... that will be too late, we thought. We thanked them and left for another firm but this time we were told that we have to make an appointment and it will cost us £50. Well, if we are not watching our budget (we were charged £25 previously), we may say yes owing to the urgency of the matter. But again we thanked the nice lady at the Reception and we decided to look yet for another firm and this time the Receptionist explained apologetically that they only do such certification for their registered clients. At this point of time, we started forming plans A, B & C : A - to get the Head Teacher of the children's school to certify; B - to get the University officials to do it or C, go back to Firm no. 2. We kept walking though and arrived at another legal firm. My husband was asking me whether it is worth checking out. Since it is situated very close to where we parked our car, I decided to try my luck for the last time.

I climbed the stairs and I started regretting my decision - the office is much posher than the others - should I just turn back? But my legs kept carrying me to the Reception. I asked and was told that if I could wait, the person who is dealing with it will come and see me. I agreed to wait. A few minutes later, a man approached asking me how he could help. I told him. Yes, he said. He will happily do it. And I asked him how much will it cost me. And at this moment I really thought that something is wrong with my ears. I asked him again. He started smiling and said "You heard it right, first time - I was saying, how about a box of chocolate. I tell you what, this is too small a business to charge anything for.  Now, if you are all right with that, let's go to my office and get the documents certified."


Well, I think that story is worth sharing.  To me there are a few lessons to be learned as well. The next day I send him a box of  Thornton.  I really hope he enjoy it.  Anyone of you have similar stories of something unexpected? Do share, yeah! :-D And Happy Sunday!

Source of image of Thorntons chocolate is from www.thechocolatereview.net

14 comments:

  1. A lawyer not asking for money for their time? That's a really really wonderful news! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! He's really a generous man ya! (",)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam LG :-D

    That's why at first I felt like either something is wrong with my ears :-D After he certified my documents, still it takes a few moment for it to sink in. :-D Maklum le... We were taught there's nothing like a free lunch...Kagum I dengan Lawyer tu. That really is Rezki :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam Ana :-D

    Yes..., that's why I pray that he gets business in abundance coming. :-D Normally a lawyer will charge at any opportunity, right? No matter how small it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. salam Mia's Mom. I know you can be a very persistent lady and it does pay (remember your story with the land office :) However I am very sorry to tell you that I don't have any similar story to share, however I would be very-very glad if you could share with me some of those wonderful thornton when you come back home, soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. salam MM... hope ur wkn were gr8!

    he is so humble! i just luv kind ppl... lucky u! oh, d chocs looks appetising tho... 8-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam DrSam :-D

    A box of Thorntons coming up!!! :-D Just make sure you guys fetch us at the airport! Hehehe...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salam Ratu :-D

    Yes, it is so heart warming isn't it knowing that there are such people around. I am just very glad that so far, I have met many humble and kind people and I felt so lucky to have sampled many kinds of kindness. Hmmm... life is a Blessing :-D

    I hope I can have the opportunity to personally deliver a box of Thorntons for you too (maybe bila I balik nanti?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salam. there may have been many untold stories about ripping off by some of the more unscrupulous solicitors, in most cases those documents requiring certification are done by the clerks only and at no cost at all except some ink used on the inkpads. I've even seen more important documents being signed only by the clerks and the solicitors are charging a bundle. If there's a chance to make money they'll do it and worst part is how and when they pounce on the poor/needies. That posh solicitors office must be an exception to the whole lot. And what a nice reward after a few shopping around. I would have easily behaved just like your hubby in such a situation, one of disgust i guess. Anyway thanks for this nice story. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salam Bluesman :-D

    You see, when I was back home, while getting my certificates certified by the Commissioner of Oath, he was telling me something like,"You see, I didn't study higher than I should. So, I ended being a Commissioner of Oath. My signature is only worth RM5 a piece. If I study further I can be the Notary Public, then I can charge RM70 a piece at least". So, that's why I was really shocked when he mentioned a box of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow...he is so kind and generous...i guess he has a wonderful day on that day and wish to share with others. And the others.... is YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Salam Melin Melinda :-D

    Thank you very much for dropping by. I am lucky, ya? It feels good when something like this happens. Hopefully all of us will continue to meet kind & generous people as we go along :-D

    Happy Weekends :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. salam...i dont really like choc...sometimes makan la juga....i like lindt choc ehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salam Arsaili :-D

    I love chocolate with mint which is not to everyone's liking. And actually I prefer hot chocolate with cinnamon on top than the chocolate chocolate. Ahah! Lindt! Tak aci ni... :-D

    ReplyDelete