Monday, April 6, 2009

Finally...

<
My two elder boys sometimes stay with my Mom during the school holidays. Some time ago, coming back from their Grandmother's house, Danish asked me, "Ibu, Nenek told me that you can bake cakes very well." "Hmmmph..." I responded back - Oh No! I can see what's coming. "She said you bake a better cake than her". He said. "Well, that was "once-upon-a-time" kind of thing." I said. "OK. But it will be nice if we can bake our own cake." he said.

Well, to be frank, it has been a long time since I bake anything. My husband does not really have a sweet tooth. And, so do I. Well, it is not that my Mom lied. No. She'll telling the truth but to be frank, I learn how to bake because she made me. I remember those time when we bake almost every week.

Last Monday, while clearing my small kitchen, I came across some ripe bananas (courtesy of my Kak Long). When I checked, these bananas are already too ripe. I don't have the heart to throw them all away. So, I picked and choose the better ones and decided "This is it." Hopefully my children will be happy.

When I announced to them that I am going to bake a banana cake, they are so excited. They offered to help and they did. Danish and Hakim helped with creaming the butter, sugar and vanilla. Mia helped with mashing the ripe bananas. Aqil offered too but was kindly declined. And how glad I was when the cake turned out nice and soft. And they are all smile when eating it. And yesterday, when they have finished every bit of the cake, they asked me. "Can we bake something else today?" "we'll see>" I said. "Please...." I can say no but looking at 4 pairs of pleading eyes. "Oh.. All... right...! Let me see!" And after some pondering, we decided on Shepherd pie. Again, everybody started to work. Danish went to the shop to buy the peas, corn & potatoes. While I started chopping the onion. When Danish came back we boiled the potatoes. And who mash them if not Mia.

And, Syukur again. For the pie turned out very well. While preparing it, all of us prayed "Please Allah, let this pie turn out good. For we are baking it out of love for each other. And we thank You for making us able to bake it from a source that is Halal."




(Note : source of images - banana from www.herbalextractsplus.com; banana cake from www.sheknows.com; sherperd's pie from www.elise.com)

4 comments:

  1. Kak, beri resepi kek pisang ni .. nampak sodap jer .. nanti ktaorang cari oven .. oven kat umah ni tak reti nak guna lak ... lagi pun zaman jurassic park punya oven ...(Mahzan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. No problem. Simple sgt sebenarnya. Look out in your email, ya. Tulis resepi kat comment ni karang, berjela lak panjangnya. Happy Baking!! & Selamat berjalan2 ke Aberdeen!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nak jugak, nak jugak... nampak sodapppp...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ancak, bagi email add. Nanti forward.

    ReplyDelete