Monday, April 20, 2009

Tasik Kenyir













Well, when I looked back at all my postings, I realised that of late I have been sharing shots from my travels overseas. Hmmm.... before anyone accuse me of being unpatriotic (:-D), let me share with you shots of Tasik Kenyir - these were taken some years back - I kind of "stole" them from my husband's collection. Hehehe.. I'm actually in the midst of looking for shots which we took on padi fields, the kampungs, the sungais, etc of our Beautiful Malaysia. Once I sort them out, I'll share them with you. But, in the meantime, enjoy these views of Tasik Kenyir.

And as usual in most of my entries, let us learn a few facts on Tasik Kenyir - mostly of the facts are what I gathered from a few sites most from www.kenyirlake.com.

Tasik Kenyir is so called from Sungai Kenyir. It is reputed to be the biggest man-made lake in Southeast Asia. At the mention of Tasik Kenyir majority will be reminded of Hydro Project which took the span of 15 years to complete. However, to do justice to it, it is more than just a hydro dam. This water catchment area covers an area 0f 38000 hectares with beautiful tropical forests - home to more than 8000 species of flowers, 2500 species of plants and trees, 8000 species of orchids, 370 species of birds and 300 species of fresh water fish.

There are a lot of activities that can be done here among others - fishing, camping, trekking, kayaking, golfing and for the more adventurous - caving.

For those who can't resist any piece of history, it is also believed that this area is a centre of civilization in the Neolithic era. Some artifact had been uncovered by a group of archeologists in 1956 and 1970’s including kitchen utensil, axes and tools dating back that era. It is believed this place was once a business centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment