Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tired,... Mom?

I have not been adding new entry for the past few days - I was soo... busy, well, 'tortured' to cook & bake - by my family members plus I wanted to finish reading 3 books which I borrowed from the Library last Saturday.

One of our (my husband & I) passions is food. I remember those days when I'm still working - we will be eating out most weekends satisfying our palatable desires. But, those were the days - And since I'm a full time Mom now, that passion instead of eating out becomes an eating in with me being the Chief Cook and of course, an Amah later (to clean out and makes things proper again).

Some time ago, my husband told me that he entertained his clients at Bangsar Village Seafood and he said he enjoyed the butter crab very much. So, a fortnight ago, on our way to visit my Mom, we dropped by and bought 2 kilos of the butter crabs. And, mmm... it's heavenly.

So, last Sunday, we tried cooking it at home & we managed to somehow created something similar though we still have to get our recipe perfected. Since it is based on trial & error, I couldn't come out with the right amount of ingredient yet. But, if you guys (and gals) want to try it - here goes the ingredients - crabs, butter (quite a lot), coconut milk (not so much), chinese cabbage, lots of curry leaves, a little tumeric powder and of course, salt. Method : Melt a little butter in the pot - put in the curry leaves and stir until fragrant. Then pour in the coconut milk & butter. Once it's nicely blended, put in a little tumeric powder. When it comes to a boil, put in the crab, later the chinese cabbage. Put salt to taste. Sorry - we're to eager to eat it so,... no photo.(The shot attached is just for 'decoration' purpose. Hehehe! To 'accompany' the butter crab, we prepared daging merah, some kerang rebus and spinach. For dinner that night we add egg salad.

On Monday, our lunch is quite easy - just sambal mackerel and fish head soup. Just as I thought I can continue my reading, I my children asked whether I can whip up a cake for them. Well, I wish I can say No but looking at their pleading eyes and that they always help with baking, I just can't. So, there I was, whipping a chocolate cake - I just followed the recipe written on the cooking chocolate cover - it's called Sacher Torte. And the good news is they finished it yesterday (Tuesday) and asked for another.

And since we have run out of cooking chocolate, I sacrificed my bananas to bake banana cake for them. I baked a big one in the hope that it will last longer.

I hope they will let me free today - coz whatever it is, I want to quietly enjoy watching CSI to night!!!And of course my books before I get to sleep!


Sources of images : "Cooking" from www.intimatemomentschefservice.com; Crab from www.shop.legalseafoods.com; Sacher Torte from www.custombasketsandbouquets.com)

5 comments:

  1. I guess that's the price that you'll have to continue to pay for being able to cook very well. Just reading yr post is enough for me to know that you are really a good cook. And being the amah, well that's part of the deal too in so far as family is concerned. I just envy you guys having all those rich food and as for me, i really have to watch my cholesterol & uric acid level. Happy cooking & amahing, ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really enjoy cooking...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam Bluesman (:-D),

    Well, maybe the cooking & baking part - I love it when everything I put on the table habis semuanya. But, the amahing part, hmmm...

    Salam Zue (:-D),

    It becomes enjoyable when everything you prepared finished in one sitting! Penat tapi happy (:-D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. enak sekali ... akak pandai masak lah .. kat Dundee ni yang terkenal chef masakan ialah Kak Khamsah ... kalau akak datang dapat gabungan dua chef boleh mantapkan lagi kelas masakan ... kita anjurkan kelas masakan utk surirumah Dundee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salam Mahzan,

    Malu pulak. Akak tak pandai mana pun, Mahzan (:-D)- asalnya nak menghemat belanja - dah hilang satu income kan sejak berhenti. Akak banyak jugak belajar dari Mak Mertua. Sampai sekarang ni pun, untuk masakan yang tak simple, Akak call je dia. Dapatlah bantuan on-line. (:-D)Yang asalnya reka2 pun ada. Tapi, dah lebih setahun ni, rasanya dalam masak ni, selain dari bahan2 yang segar, fungsi api pun besar juga rupanya. Dah tua dah baru tau....kesal, kan? (:-D

    ReplyDelete